Nelson Byrd Woltz (NBW) designed the landscape for this 4.3-acre site in conjunction with the new 18,000 sf Paul and Phyllis Galanti Education Center designed by Glave & Holmes Associates. Taking advantage of sweeping views of the James River and the Historic District of downtown Richmond, NBW designed an amphitheater that nestles into the hillside below the Memorial and seats 250 people. A rain garden surrounds the stage platform and captures runoff and rainfall at the low point of the site. The plant palette is predominantly comprised of native groundcovers, shrubs, trees, and grasses.
The Virginia War Memorial was built in 1958 to commemorate and honor Virginians who have lost their lives in all wars while serving the United States. This project expands the Memorial to better accommodate public events and visitors, increase educational resources, and create places for memorializing future casualties of war.